LIVING

With EoE, Allergies, Asthma and a G-Tube

The Letter

I’ve been debating on if I should share this letter or not. It’s the one I sent to the school.

I’ve decided that I should share it.

Hopefully it can help someone else.

Holidays are such a fun time for kids. As parents, we want to make them the best memories our kids have.

Imagine though being in your child’s shoes for a day. You’re at a party in your classroom, which you consider safe, and then something appears that could kill you in a matter of minutes. Your little head races as you try to figure out what you should do. You’re questioning why this is happening because you were told you would be in a safe room. It’s a party for your whole class and you’re being singled out, even possibly killed. Thank goodness, your mom is there to save you and remove you from harm.

I am not over exaggerating when I use the word kill. As harsh as it sounds it’s the God’s honest truth. I am referencing the peanuts being in the classroom during the Valentines party. There is a sign on the classroom door that says the room is peanut free zone. There were also letters sent home with in the first weeks of school explaining there is a child in the room with severe peanut allergies. I get it that allergies can be “annoying”. Believe me I know. I have 4 kids and a husband all with lengthy lists of foods they can’t eat. You want to talk about annoying, none of them even have the same food allergies. Why would you bring a known anaphylactic allergen into a classroom a risk a child’s life just so the other kids can have peanuts for their sundaes? I could have suggested many other toppings to use that are just as crunchy and salty as peanuts.

If my son would have stayed in the room while the other kids ate peanuts and gone into an anaphylactic asthmatic reaction how would that have impacted your child? It’s not a pretty scene. It’s happened more than once before. He would have started coughing, then a rash would have overcome his body, his eyes would swell and his voice would have become raspy and probably disappeared altogether. He would have ended up gasping for air between coughs, possibly even vomiting.  If a child would have touched a peanut and then touched his arm it would have set his reaction off and ruined the day for everyone. Especially him. You see though, his day was ruined as soon as he was aware there were peanuts in there. He already doesn’t get to participate in the food part of any social event. This day he also didn’t get to exchange Valentines. He will forever remember his 3rd grade Valentine’s day as the one when he had to leave because someone brought peanuts. I also fear how he’ll do in class the rest of the week as the room has been contaminated.

Today could have ended horribly. I’m so thankful I could be there. It breaks my heart that he already goes through so much in life dealing with food and then we run into situations like this that never should have happened. I am always available to make sure we keep things safe for my son. I’m not sure how it didn’t happen this time.

I am more than happy to answer allergy questions for anyone that isn’t familiar with how allergies work as they’re different for everyone.

Sincerely,

Kara

 

February 22, 2017 Posted by | LIVING | 1 Comment

   

%d bloggers like this: